This event has been cancelled, but a vitual option will be available soon. For questions or to find out about future training opportunities, please contact
Jenny Keesey at (360) 816-1458 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Who Should Attend:
Supervisors and managers, and those employees who will be transitioning to a supervisor or manager role in the near future.
This is one of three classes leading to a Leadership Skills Series Certificate from NWPPA. This course is for personnel who wish to obtain an overview and basic working knowledge of employment and labor laws that affect their business.
On day one, attendees will cover basic federal laws, issues that commonly arise under these laws, and the significant areas giving rise to litigation in the employment process: hiring, evaluations, discipline, harassment, accommodation, attendance, and discharge.
The purpose of day two is to provide participants with a clear understanding of the importance of employee evaluations and the process to follow in preparing for and conducting appraisals.
- Identify various risks and legal responsibilities associated with violence in the workplace
- Identify the important elements associated with harassment in the workplace
- Understand the concept of reductions in force
- Recognize the impact of employing non-U.S. citizens
- Identify various risks and legal responsibilities impacting employees in supervisory capacities
- Learn how to better manage discussion difficulties that arise during evaluations
- Keep the evaluation focused and on track
- Learn the importance of establishing performance goals for employees
- Set and conduct follow-up discussions
- Learn about proper record keeping
Jennifer Bouman-Stegall, Red Kite Employment Law
Registration will begin at 8 a.m. on the first day, and the class will run from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. on both days. Lunch, as well as morning and afternoon breaks, will be provided.
Course Location and Hotel Information:
Residence Inn Boise City Center
400 S. Capitol Blvd.
Boise, ID 83702
Room rate: $179 for a single/double
Please book your room as soon as possible, but no later than August 31, 2020, to secure this rate. Mention that you are coming in with the NWPPA group when booking your reservation. Or, book online with the following link: Reservations.
Utility Member Early Bird (ends8/23/2020): $1,060
Utility Member Standard: $1,135
Associate Member Early Bird (ends 8/23/2020): $1,590
Associate Member Standard: $1,665
Non-member Early Bird (ends 8/23/2020): $3,180
Non-member Standard: $3,255
Cancellations are accepted, with full refund, if request is made at least 30 days prior to the course. Within 30 days, fees are as follows: 15-29 days, $100; 1-14 days or "no show," 100 percent of registration fee. When possible, please send a substitute instead of canceling. NWPPA does not charge a fee for substitutions.
This course qualifies for 12 continuing hours. Certificates are issued upon full completion of the course.