Leadership Skills #4: HR Basics & Building a More Effective Workplace
September 27 28, 2017
500 W. Third Ave.
Anchorage, AK 99501
Fee(s):This event has a fee
Who Should Attend:
Supervisors and managers, and those employees who will be transitioning to a supervisor or manager role in the near future.
This is the fourth in a series of four sessions leading to a Certificate in Leadership Skills from NWPPA.
This course is for personnel who wish to obtain an overview and basic working knowledge of employment and labor laws that affect their business. On day one, attendees will cover basic federal laws, issues that commonly arise under these laws, and the significant areas giving rise to litigation in the employment process: hiring, evaluations, discipline, harassment, accommodation, attendance, and discharge. The purpose of day two, Building a More Effective Workplace, is to provide participants with a clear understanding of the importance of employee evaluations and the process to follow in preparing for and conducting appraisals.
- Identify various risks and legal responsibilities associated with violence in the workplace
- Identify the important elements associated with harassment in the workplace
- Understand the concept of reductions in force
- Recognize the impact of employing non-U.S. citizens
- Identify various risks and legal responsibilities impacting employees in supervisory capacities
- Learn how to better manage discussion difficulties that arise during evaluations
- Keep the evaluation focused and on track
- Learn the importance of establishing performance goals for employees
- Set and conduct follow-up discussions
- Learn about proper record keeping
Cindy Beresh-Bryant, Continuum Education + Training
Registration will begin at 8 a.m. on the first day, and the class will run from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. on both days. Lunch, as well as morning and afternoon breaks, will be provided.
Course Location & Hotel Information:
500 West Third Avenue
Anchorage, AK 99501
Room rate: $129 for a single/double
Please book your room
as soon as possible, but no later than August 27, 2017, to secure
this rate. Mention that you are with Northwest Public Power Association
when booking your reservation.
Utility Member Early Bird (ends 8/27/2017): $1,090
Utility Member Standard: $1,165
Associate Member Early Bird (ends 8/27/2017): $1,635
Associate Member Standard: $1,710
Non-member Early Bird (ends 8/27/2017): $3,270
Non-member Standard: $3,345