Who Should Attend:
Supervisors and managers, and those employees who will be transitioning to a supervisor or manager role in the near future.
This is one of four courses that qualifies for credit toward the Leadership Skills Series Certificate from NWPPA. For more information about this and other certificate programs, please see the NWPPA Certificate Program Brochure.
This course is for anyone who wishes to obtain an overview and basic working knowledge of employment and labor laws that affect their business.
On day one, you will review basic federal laws, issues that commonly arise under these laws, and the significant areas giving rise to litigation in the employment process: hiring, evaluations, discipline, harassment, accommodation, attendance, and discharge.
On day two, you will learn the importance of employee evaluations and the process to follow in preparing for and conducting appraisals.
- Identify various risks and legal responsibilities associated with violence in the workplace
- Identify the important elements associated with harassment in the workplace
- Understand the concept of reductions in force
- Recognize the impact of employing non-U.S. citizens
- Identify various risks and legal responsibilities impacting employees in supervisory capacities
- Learn how to better manage discussion difficulties that arise during evaluations
- Keep the evaluation focused and on track
- Learn the importance of establishing performance goals for employees
- Set and conduct follow-up discussions
- Learn about proper record keeping
Jennifer Bouman-Steagall, Red Kite Employment Law
Registration will begin at 8 a.m. on day one, and the class will run from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Pacific Time on both days. Lunch and refreshments will be provided on both days.
Course Location and Hotel Information:
Courtyard by Marriott
480 Columbia Pt Dr
Richland, WA 99352
Room rate: $154 per night
Please book your room as soon as possible, but no later than May 29, 2022 to reserve this rate.
Utility Member Early Bird (ends 5/22//2022): $1,080
Utility Member Standard: $1,155
Associate Member Early Bird (ends 5/22/2022): $1,620
Associate Member Standard: $1,695
Non-Member Early Bird (ends 5/22/2022): $3,240
Non-Member Standard: $3,315
Cancellations are accepted with a full refund as follows:
For webinars and virtual classes, if the request is made at least five days prior to the course, then 100% of the registration fee will be refunded.
For in-person events, the following fee structure applies: cancellation at least 30 days prior to the event, full refund; within 15-29 days, $100 fee; and within 1-14 days or no show, 100% of the registration fee. When possible, please send a substitute instead of canceling because NWPPA does not charge a fee for substitutions.
This course qualifies for 12 continuing hours. Certificates are issued upon full completion of the course.