Employer Collective Bargaining Team Preparations - POSTPONED
March 18 19, 2020
Venue:Embassy Suites Portland Airport
7900 NE 82nd Ave.
Portland, OR 97220
Fee(s):This event has a fee
This event has been postponed. For questions or to find out about future training opportunities, please contact Taryn Johnson at (360) 816-1446 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Who Should Attend:
General managers, operations managers, members of the employer bargaining team, and chief negotiators. We recommend that you send more than one team member to this class.
You will gain valuable and practical knowledge about the three phases of collective bargaining:
- Preparation and defining the range/scope of negotiations
- Bargaining over issues (both non-economic and economic) and packaging of all remaining issues
- Packaging offers, offer variations, final offer, and achieving agreement or implementation of the final offer
- Basic negotiation theory
- Concept of mutuality
- The role of the negotiator
- Grasping the concept of interest vs. positions
- How to preserve management's rights under the labor contract
- Collective bargaining responsibilities
- Understanding what constitutes unfair labor practice
- The duty to bargain in good faith
- The employer's duty to disclose information
- Management policies in bargaining
- Considerations to the make-up of the bargaining team and chief negotiator
- Checklists for collective bargaining preparations
- Defined negotiating ground rules
- Developing proposals and protection of the right to manage the business
- Contract language
Gary Kleckner, MARC
Registration will begin at 8 a.m. on the first day, and the class will run from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. on both days. Lunch, as well as morning and afternoon breaks, will be provided on both days.
Course Location and Hotel Information:
Embassy Suites Portland - Airport
7900 NE 82nd Avenue
Portland, OR 97220
Room rate: $159 for a single/double
Please book your room as soon as possible, but no later than February 16, 2020, to secure this rate. Mention that you are coming in with the NWPPA group (group code NWW) when booking your reservation. Or book directly online by clicking: Reservations.
Utility Member Early Bird (ends 2/16/2020): $860
Utility Member Standard: $935
Associate Member Early Bird (ends 2/16/2020): $1,290
Associate Member Standard: $1,365
Non-member Early Bird (ends 2/16/2020): $2,580
Non-member Standard: $2,655
Cancellations are accepted, with full refund, if request is made at least 30 days prior to the course. Within 30 days, fees are as follows: 15-29 days, $100; 1-14 days or "no show," 100% of registration fee. When possible, please send a substitute instead of canceling. NWPPA does not charge a fee for substitutions.
This course qualifies for 12 continuing hours. Certificates are issued upon full completion of the course.
NWPPA is recognized by SHRM to offer Professional Development Credits (PDCs) for the SHRM-CPSM or SHRM-SCPSM. This program is valid for 16 PDCs for the SHRM-CPSM or SHRM-SCPSM. For more information about certification or recertification, please visit www.shrmcertification.org.
Find it on Map
Embassy Suites Portland Airport
For More Information:
To find out more about this course, to register, or to learn about other events, view the Training and Event Catalog.